The Bolder Boulder will be postponed until the fall because of the coronavirus pandemic, race officials announced on Monday.
The officials huddled on Sunday, 10 weeks before the race was to be held and just after the CDC recommended no gatherings of 50 or more people for the next eight weeks throughout the United States. The day before, the city of Boulder declared a local disaster emergency in response to the effects that the pandemic is having on the city.
Nearly 43,000 runners and walkers took part last year in the race, which typically ranks as the third largest in the nation. In recent weeks, race officials began discussions with the city of Boulder and the University of Colorado — the latter because the race finishes in CU’s football stadium — about postponing the May 25 race if it became necessary.
While no date has been announced, race director Cliff Bosley said the hope is to hold the Bolder Boulder in September.
“We are formalizing plans and thousands of details so that we can announce a new date as soon as possible,” officials wrote Monday in a letter to participants.
Runners who have already signed up for the race will have their registrations automatically carried forward to the new date. Registered runners who can’t run for any reason can transfer their registrations to next year’s race.
A September race will put pressure on staff, however, because the same team stages the Fortitude 10K in Fort Collins on Labor Day.
“That’s our conundrum right now,” said race director Cliff Bosley. “Let’s figure out where the Bolder Boulder fits best, and then we’ll work around the other dynamics and logistics surrounding Fortitude.”