Back in February, my husband and I had a little Valentine’s weekend getaway in Phoenix. And while we were there, we ate at a restaurant called The Gladly and I had a Thai margarita that was absolutely delicious. So I added it to my list of things to make and put my own spin on it. If you haven’t had tamarind yet, it’s deeeeelish! It’s super tart and tangy and tastes pretty much just like candy which makes it even more delicious in a cocktail! I’m not a fan of triple sec so I rarely add it to my margaritas, but feel free to add it to yours. You’re a grown up, you can do whatever you want. Being a grown up is the best.
Since I’ve been traveling so much and eating at so many amazing restaurants, I’ve been enjoying being a grown up a little too much. I’m not a person who enjoys a vodka soda or a sh*tty margarita mix at a restaurant, but I seem to enjoy a craft cocktail more than I used to. So when I go to a restaurant I may never go to again, I have a hard time turning a drink down. BUT even after one cocktail, I can feel and also see the difference and change it makes in my body. With just one drink. It’s pretty bananas and still surprises me even though I know what alcohol does to a body.
I say all this because even though I enjoy cocktails sometimes and I like making them for my blog in the summer, alcohol still isn’t good for you. It’s just like sugar – it’s pretty much poison for your body. But if you are going to drink (or eat sugar), you might as well know exactly what you are putting into your body instead of drinking mixes that include things like – “Water, Citric Acid, Natural Flavors, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate, Gum Acacia, CMC Gum, SAIB, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, Caramel Color, Yellow #5.” SAIB always makes for the best margaritas, am I right?
Anywho, since I’ve been back from traveling, I haven’t drank any alcohol and I’ve been chugging water and I feel SO MUCH BETTER. Even having one cocktail per night on my recent trips threw my body and brain completely off. And now after a week of being back home, I finally feel like myself again. I may not be totally selling you on this cocktail, but I wanted to share that insight and experience because even though we should enjoy life, we should also know what it feels like to feel our best as often as possible. So pick your poison carefully. Start looking at ingredients and start being aware of what you’re consuming and decide if it’s worth it or not. And if you’re stuck trying to sound out an ingredient such as Acesulfame, maybe just try out a real ingredient like coconut nectar instead.
Ok. I’ll get off my high horse. It’s like I think I’m a grown up or something.
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup coconut nectar (agave or honey)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon tamarind concentrate
- 2 lemongrass stalks, hit with the back of a knife to release the fragrance
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1-1 1/2 cups silver tequila
- 1/3 cup lime juice
For the rim
- 1/2 lime
- chili lime seasonings
- 1 fresno pepper, sliced, for garnish
- Place water, coconut nectar, tamarind concentrate, lemongrass stalks, and red pepper flakes in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a low boil, whisking until coconut nectar dissolves. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes then strain through a mesh strainer. Place in fridge to cool completely.
- In a pitcher, add chilled simple syrup along with the rest of the ingredients and stir together.
- Use a lime to squeeze around the edge of four or five 8-ounce glasses then dip them into the chili lime seasonings. Add ice to each glass, pour margarita mix into glass then top with lime wedges and sliced fresno peppers.
var simpleListUrl = ‘http://paleomg.com/saved-shopping-lists/’;
amzn_assoc_placement = “adunit0”; amzn_assoc_search_bar = “true”; amzn_assoc_tracking_id = “paleomg08-20”; amzn_assoc_ad_mode = “manual”; amzn_assoc_ad_type = “smart”; amzn_assoc_marketplace = “amazon”; amzn_assoc_region = “US”; amzn_assoc_title = “What I Used To Make This Recipe”; amzn_assoc_linkid = “decb5b8e35a6f170636e95c6c92f0f97”; amzn_assoc_asins = “B000EA0DF8,B06XK91JV7,B00NUFZGJC,B007TUQF9O”;
More Spicy Cocktails!
Click Here To Get All My PaleOMG Recipes Into Your Meal Planner With Real Plans!
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running!